The Best Veggie Burger Ever
Best Veggie Burger Ever
This veggie burger is unreal. It’s a bold statement, I know. But it’s true.
Last weekend we had a big family bbq at my mom’s house. One of my older brothers is a vegan and his wife is vegetarian. My younger, and non-vegan, brother took the veggie burgers camping with him. Figures.
So here we were, on a holiday Monday with no veggie burgers for the vegan/vegetarian. The bbq was firing up in less than an hour and I had limited supplies. I felt like I was on an episode of Chopped. I whipped up this burger and even surprised myself how freakin’ awesome it was. Try my Rosemary Garlic Aioli on top with some sliced avocado – absolutely delicious!
I love sweet potatoes and knew they would be the perfect base to my veggie burger. The orange-fleshed vegetables are an incredible source of beta-carotene. A precursor to vitamin A, beta-carotene provides your body with hard working antioxidants. These antioxidants combat free radicals in our bodies, which help prevent cardiovascular disease, wrinkles, and cancer.
A tasty vegan sweet potato burger, full of delicious nutrients. So hearty and filling you won't miss the meat.
40 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
Yields 6-8 Burgers
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and roasted or boiled
- ½ cup quinoa, cooked
- ½ cup navy beans*
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp coconut syrup (sub maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp pink rock or grey sea salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 drop thyme essential oil ** (sub 2 tsp dried thyme)
- Drizzle avocado or coconut oil, for baking
- Combine all the ingredients in your food processor or blender.
- Transfer mixture into a bowl and place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to make for easier shaping.
- In the meantime, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400C.
- Remove mixture from the fridge and divide into 6-8 balls.
- Place them onto the parchment paper and shape into patties.***
- Drizzle with avocado or coconut oil and place in the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from oven and serve.
*Always opt for BPA-free or enamel lined cans. **Only consume CPTG oils internally. See my page on essential oils for more information. ***Use wet hands to form the patties to prevent the mixture from sticking.