Super Chewy Paleo Cookies with Almond Flour & Lemon
Super Chewy Paleo Cookies
One of my absolute favourite things to bake with is almond flour, which serves as a perfect base to my Super Chewy Paleo Cookies. Almond flour is made from grinding down almonds in to a fine texture that is awesome to bake and cook with. You can buy almond flour already ground or you can save some money and grind the almonds yourself. Almond flour is my go-to ingredient for gluten-free, grain-free, and paleo friendly baking. Since you’re baking with almonds, you’re creating a tasty little treat that’s full of protein and good fats.
Refined sugars, white flour, hydrogenated vegetable oils, and artificial flavouring/colours are a few of the common ingredients found in supermarket cookies. Making your own yummy little paleo cookies ensures that there are no hidden ingredients lurking in your baked goods. Raw honey is one of my favourite natural sweeteners. Since it’s unpasteurized, raw honey retains all of its beneficial enzymes and nutrients. I also make sure to purchase local honey since I’m able to support the farmers in my community and to make sure it’s not cut with corn syrup (common for cheap honey).
Lemon Essential Oil
One of the most popular essential oils in our home is lemon. I use it in a variety of different ways from purifying to air to helping reduce hyperpigmentation in my skin. It’s also one of my favourites to bake with!
It gives these Super Chewy Paleo Cookies and incredibly pure and potent lemony flavour. When using essential oils in your recipes, and thus ingesting them, it’s vital to look for a certified pure therapeutic grade that are labelled safe for internal use. To learn more about the essential oils I’ve chosen to use for myself and family, click here.
Deliciously chewy cookies, naturally flavoured with lemon essential oil and sweetened with honey.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
Yields 15 cookies
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon (can also use 1 drop of cinnamon essential oil)
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/8 tsp pink rock or grey sea salt
- 1/4 cup honey (I used raw or unpasteurized)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 15 drops doTERRA lemon oil (or 1 tbsp lemon zest + 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey, egg, coconut oil, vanilla and lemon oil (or zest/juice).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir until combined.
- Chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to allow the batter to harden.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll dough in to 1-inch balls and slightly flatten.
- Bake until edges begin to brown, 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool before enjoying
To make your own almond flour (aka almond meal), look for blanched slivered almonds and pop them in your food processor or high-speed blender. You could even use a clean coffee grinder (just may take a few batches!). Be careful not to over blend, or else you'll end up with almond butter! You're looking for just a fine texture.