Rosemary Cashew Cheese Recipe (Dairy Free + Vegan)
Rosemary Cashew Cheese Recipe
Our family is obsessed with this Rosemary Cashew Cheese recipe. We use it as a spread on sandwiches or wraps, to top burgers, and as the best dip ever. You can even stir it into soups and sauces.
I bring it to every backyard BBQ or get together with some crunchy veggies for dipping. It’s always a hit for both vegans and non-vegans.
Native to Brazil, cashew nuts are actually seeds that adhere to the bottom of the cashew apple. Cashews contain the heart-healthy monounsaturated fat that has been shown to help reduce high triglyceride levels. Having high triglyceride levels put you at an increased risk for heart disease.
Aside from good fats, cashews also contain a number of other body-loving nutrients like manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin K. Magnesium helps calms nerves and anxiety, improves insomnia and helps you fall asleep, and can help relieve constipation. It also works with copper to provide bone strength. Copper contains antioxidants that fight off free radicals in the body.
I’m sure you’re thinking, “What the heck is Nutritional Yeast?”
Nutritional yeast is the deactivated form of the yeast known as “Saccharomyces cerevisiae.” It’s an excellent source of complete protein containing all the essential amino acids. The golden-yellow flakes are also a rich source of energy-boosting B vitamins. It has a cheesy, nutty flavour and is ah-mazing on just about anything. In this cashew cheese recipe, it provides that cheesy flavour you’re looking for without adding any dairy to the mix. I buy mine in the bulk food section at my local health food store. You can also find it in the natural section of many grocery stores. And if you still can’t find it, online is your best bet.
A creamy and smooth cashew cheese you can spread on sandwiches or use as a dip. Naturally dairy-free and vegan-approved.
Yields 1 1/2 cups
- 2 cups filtered water (for soaking)
- 1 cups raw cashews
- ½ cup filtered water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp coconut cream (I used the creamy top from a can of full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 drop doTERRA Rosemary essential oil (sub 2 tsp dried rosemary)
- Pink rock or grey sea salt to taste
- Add cashews to a bowl and cover cashews with 2 cups of filtered water. Place in the fridge overnight to soak.
- Rinse cashews and add to a food processor with the S-blade or high-speed blender (like a Vitamix).
- Add in remaining ingredients.
- If using a food processor, blend until smooth (I usually let it go for 5 minute to get it super creamy). If using a blender, you may need to tamp the mixture down.
- Pour mixture into your desired storage container and place in the fridge to cool. Once cooled, it will have a cream cheese consistency.
Feel free to mix up the essential oil or herb you choose. This recipe is also delicious with dill, thyme, or basil.
Prefer a classic version? Forgo the addition of essential oils or herbs. It'll still taste great.