Amazing Crispy Cauliflower Wings with Dill Aioli
Amazing Crispy Cauliflower Wings
My husband loves chicken wings. Like really loves them. And when I first whipped up these Amazing Crispy Cauliflower Wings, we were both blown away by how insanely good they were. They even had a similar texture to chicken wings surprisingly. We ate an entire plate of these for dinner after we put Jackson to bed on Friday night. Big date night for us 😉
This is definitely one of our favourite plant-based meals to have. We’re big dippers so we always have a dill aioli on the side. We usually pair it with a fresh garden salad and crispy baked sweet potato wedges.
While I often get asked if I’m vegetarian or vegan, I am not. But, about 90% of our week we are eating plant-based meals. When we do choose to include animal protein in our diet, it’s always from local, organic, pasture-raised farms where I’ve met the farmer and have seen how wonderful the animals live.
Is there anything cauliflower can’t do? It can be a tasty rice, delicious pizza, and yes – amazing crispy cauliflower wings. I’d have to say it’s one of my fav vegetables. Cauliflower is actually a member of the cancer-fighting cruciferous family of veggies. This family of nutrient dense vegetables support healthy digestion and detoxification. Cauliflower is also rich in antioxidants and is incredibly anti-inflammatory.
Mmmm, I love me some aioli (on pretty much everything). Aioli is usually mayonnaise seasoned with garlic and a few other ingredients if desired. Instead, I’ve opted to use a soy-free vegan mayo (aka Veganaise) for a healthier alternative.
So let’s get clear on mayonnaise. Most conventional mayos are made with unhealthy fats, sugar, and artificial ingredients. Steer clear of this inflammation causing product at all costs. Vegan mayo not only tastes better, but is free of the bad ingredients typically found in store bought mayonnaise. I use it as a base for so many quick and easy aiolis. This recipe definitely calls for a ranch-style dip, so my Dill Aioli is the perfect companion to the Amazing Crispy Cauliflower Wings. Not a fan of dill? Try my Rosemary Garlic Aioli – it tastes awesome paired with the cauliflower wings too.
The tastiest cauliflower wings that both omnivores and vegetarians will absolutely love!
15 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup water (more or less depending on desired consistency)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp pink rock or grey sea salt
- 1 cup organic bbq sauce (sugar-free)
- ½ cup soy-free vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp pink rock or grey sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Cut the cauliflower down into wing sized florets, removing as much of the stem as possible.
- Combine the water, flour, spices, and salt in a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Dip cauliflower florets into batter until well coated.
- Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet and pop in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all the ingredients for the dill aioli to a small bowl and stir until well combined.
- Remove from oven and place wings in a large bowl.
- Pour BBQ sauce on top and toss till well coated.
- Put back in the oven for 20-30 mins (depending on desired crispiness).
- Serve with dill aioli on the side for dipping.