Shaved Brussel Sprouts
Shaved Brussels Sprouts
Brussels Sprouts. The vegetable most people grow up hating, which is so unfortunate because if cooked properly, they’re DELICIOUS. As a kid, I was one of those haters. Now, I am in love with the tiny green vegetables. Shaving the Brussels sprouts helps break down the fibres and makes them a little less chewy. Plus the simple addition of onion, garlic, and lemon helps mask any bitterness for the picky eater.
These Shaved Brussels Sprouts are a perfect side dish to roasted chicken. Use some bone broth as a base for gravy too! Mmmmmm… I think this is dinner for me tonight!
Vitamin’s K & C
The little cruciferous vegetable is full of amazing health benefits. Just one cup of these shaved Brussels sprouts – which is 2 servings of veggies by the way – contains over 240% of your daily vitamin K needs and over 120% of your vitamin C needs! In Brussels sprouts!! Who knew?
Vitamin K is essential because helps with blood clotting and the transportation of calcium throughout the body. We know vitamin C is beneficial to our immune system, but it also helps the body make the important protein collagen. Having ample amounts of collagen helps body to make skin, cartilage, ligaments, tendons, and blood vessels. Beautiful skin anyone?
Garlic and lemon sautéed Brussels sprouts make the perfect side dish.
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. organic Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. lemon zest
- Pink rock or grey sea salt to taste
- Warm oil on medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add Brussels sprouts, garlic, and salt/pepper.
- Sauté for an additional 7 minutes, or until Brussels sprouts are slightly caramelized.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice, and mix until combined.
- Plate the dish and top with lemon zest.
To make shaving the Brussel sprouts super quick, I use my food processor. A mandolin would also work well.