Essential Oils for Emotional Well-Being
Essential Oils for Emotional Wellbeing
Most people are familiar with using essential oils aromatically. They have beautiful and potent aromas that can fill the room. But, they can be used for more than just making your atmosphere smell pretty. Essential oils can have a profound positive impact on your emotions and mental health. Keep in mind, not all essential oils are created equally. If you’d like to learn more about the only essential oils I trust and use on my family, click here.
How Scents Affect Us
When we smell essential oils, this happens through our olfactory system. As you inhale the aromatic compounds of an essential oil, the molecules travel through the olfactory system and affect the brain through receptor sites. One of these receptor sites is the limbic system, which is often called the “emotional brain.” The limbic system in your brain is responsible for controlling stress levels, breathing, memory, heart rate, and blood pressure. It’s also in charge of balancing hormones and emotions. This explains why certain scents can trigger emotions and even memories. Here are a few suggestions of specific essential oils and blends to help with any emotion you might be feeling. If you have a specific emotional or mental health issue you are working through, please contact me for a complimentary 15-minute wellness consult.
- Cedarwood: Diffuse after a stressful day to relax the mind and body.
- Geranium: Diffuse aromatically to calm nerves.
- Serenity Calming Blend: Diffuse to help promote relaxation and peace.
- Arborvitae: Diffuse at night or rub on forehead, shoulders, or chest to lessen stress and tension.
- Patchouli: Rub on temples or apply to the bottoms of feet to calm emotions.
- Ylang Ylang: Put a few drops into Epsom salt bath for relaxation.
- AromaTouch Massage Blend: Add to bath or use with carrier oil for massage.
- Frankincense: Apply to the bottoms of feet to relax and balance mood swings.
- Roman Chamomile: Add 1–2 drops to herbal teas to soothe the body and mind.
- Vetiver: Diffuse aromatically or use topically with other calming essential oils, such as Lavender, Serenity, or Balance, to better help calm stress.
RESTLESS/LACK OF CONCENTRATION
- Rosemary: Diffuse aromatically or apply topically to help reduce tension, stress, and fatigue.
- Lavender: Add to bath water to soak away stress.
- Balance Grounding Blend: Apply to wrists or neck to help calm nerves.
- InTune Focus Blend: Apply to temples and back of neck to enhance concentration when feeling tired mid-afternoon.
- Clary Sage: Apply to feet or pulse points to balance hormones.
- Bergamot: Diffuse in the classroom or at work.
- Grapefruit/Lemon/Lime: Rub underneath your nose to sharpen focus while studying or reading.
- Citrus Bliss Invigorating Blend: Diffuse aromatically or put one drop on your wrists and rub them together for an uplifting everyday perfume.
- Peppermint: Apply to the palms of hands and deeply inhale for a quick pick-me-up.
- Wild Orange/Frankincense: Energize the mind and body by placing two drops each of Wild Orange, Peppermint, and Frankincense in the palm of your hand. Rub palms together and inhale deeply. during high stress levels.
- Sandalwood: Apply to the neck at bedtime for a restful sleep, or use during meditation.
- Elevation Joyful Blend: Diffuse in the mornings to start the day with a positive, uplifted mood.
- Balance Grounding Blend/Serenity Calming Blend: Apply 1-2 drops of each to the bottoms of the feet, 3-4x daily.
- Vetiver: Apply 1-2 drops of each to the bottoms of the feet, 3-4x daily.