Creamy Dairy-Free Tomato Soup
Dairy Free Tomato Soup
There’s nothing like a hot bowl of creamy tomato soup on a cold day. My Creamy Dairy-Free Tomato Soup is a staple in our house. We usually enjoy it weekly! Plus, the combination of ingredients are super immune boosting.
All of my soups have a bone broth base. It’s incredibly nourishing to the body and supportive of the immune system. For more on bone broth (and the recipe!), read my recent blog post Homemade Bone Broth.
Here’s a quick run down of the other immune boosting ingredients:
- Tomatoes – Great source of antioxidants like Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
- Onions – Contains trace mineral selenium, which reduces inflammation and stimulates immune function.
- Rosemary Essential Oil – Antibacterial, antifungal, and antioxidant.
- Thyme Essential Oil – Highly antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial.
Now how do I make my dairy-free tomato soup super creamy? Rosemary Cashew Cheese. Yep, it’s that easy. I just add a scoop or two of my cashew cheese to the soup and it creates the most decadent creamy texture. If you don’t have time to make the cashew cheese, you can always substitute soy-free vegan mayo in a pinch. But, if you do have the time or already have it on hand – definitely add it in!
15 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
Yields 6 cups
- 4 cups bone broth or veggie broth
- 1 24 oz can of organic diced tomatoes (BPA-free lining)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes (optional - but add a great flavour!)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- 1 drop rosemary essential oil (sub 2 tsp dried rosemary)
- 1 drop thyme essential oil (sub 2 tsp dried thyme)
- 2 tbsp rosemary cashew cheese (sub vegan mayo)
- 1 bay leaf
- Pink rock or grey sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp dairy-free pesto (per bowl)
- Sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley (per bowl)
- Set medium sized soup pot to medium heat, add avocado oil and sautee onions/garlic for about 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add to blender along with all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the bay leaf.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour tomato mixture into pot and add bay leaf.
- Simmer on low for 1 hour - stirring occasionally.