7 Ways You Need to Use Essential Oils for School
7 Ways You Need to Use Essential Oils for School
You’ve got your backpack ready, pencils sharpened, and lunch packed. Just don’t forget the essential oils. They are such a powerful tool for back to school. Whether your kids are running out the door to catch the bus, you homeschool them, or you’re headed back to class yourself this handy little guide will be a lifesaver.
1. Wake Up Happy
I love diffusing essential oils first thing in the morning while everyone gets ready for the day. Breathing in certain aromatic compounds can have a huge effect on your mind and mood. These are our 3 favourite blends to diffuse for a happy start to the day:
- Peppermint + Wild Orange: a.k.a. “The Get Stuff Done Blend.” The energizing properties of these two oils are great to help your kids wake up, stay alert, and focused.
- Lemon + Frankincense: known as the “Happy Blend.” Not only does lemon promote a positive mood, but it also supports a healthy respiratory system and purifies the air. Frankincense promotes feelings of peace and overall wellness. The combo of these two is a mom favourite.
- Citrus Bliss: This “Invigorating Blend” combines the uplifting benefits of citrus oils with a touch of vanilla. It helps reduce stress, uplifts mood, and energizes – pretty much the perfect start to a morning.
2. Immune Boost
On Guard is a must-have in your school time medicine cabinet. It’s a powerful combination of wild orange, clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary. You can diffuse On Guard for air cleansing and respiratory support or apply it to the bottoms of the feet to support the body’s immune system and antioxidant defences. Remember, you always want to dilute for children. Get the dilution chart in my Back to School guidebook.
3. Calm the Nerves
If you have kids that are a little stressed about going back to school, apply these oils to the bottoms of the feet or down the spine before they head of the door.
- Lavender: Helps ease feelings of tension and anxiety. Incredibly calming and a must-have oil to have on hand at all times.
- Balance: The “Grounding Blend” is one of my favourite blends of oils. It helps promote a whole-body sense of relaxation. I used it religiously as a new mom for both myself and Jackson! I instantly felt calmer and my anxiety levels plummeted.
4. Stay Focused
In Tune is another one of my favourite blends to enhance and sustain focus. It’s exceptionally good for those who have difficulty paying attention or staying on task. Perfect to pop in the school bag for older children, teenagers, and university students. For younger kids, it’s always advised to have an adult apply the oils. A great blend to apply to the back of the neck or bottoms of the feet during homework time too!
5. Clean Up Time
It’s important to be cleaning out lunch bags and boxes regularly. I always have my homemade DIY surface cleaner on hand to wipe everything down (including the counters). You can find the recipe at the bottom, but my three favourite oils to use in my surface sprays are:
- On Guard
- Tea Tree
6. Study Time
- Frankincense + Rosemary: Not only does it smell so amazing, rosemary is perfect for studying. It helps maintain concentration and has been shown that it can help enhance memory. Bonus? It’s great for respiratory support! Just as it’s great in the morning for promoting relaxation, it’s great to keep those frustrated feelings at bay during study time, too.
- Serenity: The “Restful Blend” goes in my son’s diffuser every night. I love how incredibly relaxing the aroma is and how awesome it is at promoting a deep sleep.
- Vetiver: This is one of my favourite oils for sleep. I love adding it to my son’s bath water (in a little bit of liquid soap to disperse), applied to the bottoms of the feet before bed, or diffused with Serenity at bedtime. Vetiver has an incredibly calming and grounding effect on the emotions.
Back to School Q & A
- Can I send oils to school?
Each school has their own regulations. Ask beforehand if they allow a rollerball in their backpack.
- What’s a diffuser and which is the best to get?
Diffusers output a cool, gentle mist to disperse the essential oils into a room. This allows the oils to be used aromatically. Great for supporting the mind, mood, and respiratory system. This also helps purify and cleanse the air. Always look for a cool-mist ultrasonic diffuser that uses water to diffuse. I have doTERRA’s Petal Diffuser in my office, the Lumo Diffuser in the living spaces and my bedroom, and the Whale Diffuser in Jackson’s room (since it doubles as a noise machine and nightlight).
- What’s the best way to use the oils?
You can use the oils aromatically in your diffuser – best for mind/mood management. When applied topically dilute in a carrier oil like coconut, avocado, or olive oil. I love diluting them to the proper ratio for my son and adding them to a glass rollerball bottle for easy application. doTERRA also has their Touch line of pre-diluted oils that are perfect for kids!
As a Board Certified Essential Oil Practitioner, I’m here to help guide you through your oil journey. Click here to read more about getting them for your family.
A safe and non-toxic all purpose spray to disinfect surfaces, toys, and lunch boxes.
5 minPrep Time
5 minTotal Time
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 30 drops doTERRA essential oils
- 30 drops On Guard
- 15 drops each of Lemon & Peppermint
- 10 drops each of Wild Orange, Tea Tree, and Peppermint.
- Add all ingredients to 16 oz. glass spray bottle.
- Shake thoroughly.