Roasted Tempeh & Root Vegetable Buddha Bowl
What’s a Buddha Bowl?
Buddha Bowls are generally more of a formula than a strict recipe. They contain all the macronutrients we need from food: protein, fat, and carbohydrate. By including all of these in one meal, our body feels more satiated and stay fuller for longer. Buddha Bowls are usually vegan, but some feature eggs or chicken.
They get their name from being so full with delicious food that they resemble the round belly of Buddha. The bowls are usually filled with a rainbow of foods to provide you with all the different nutrients your body needs. A food trend in 2017, over 370,000 pictures of Buddha Bowls can be found across Instagram.
What Did I Include in This Buddha Bowl?
- Protein = Organic Tempeh (16 grams of plant-based protein per serving)
- Fat = Avocado & Vegan Rosemary Aioli
- Carbohydrates = Sweet Potato & Organic Yellow Potato
- Baby spinach and lots of spices!
If you’re missing any of the ingredients, put your creativity hat on and use what you have. That’s the beauty of Buddha Bowls…they allow you to use up whatever you have on hand (or anything that needs to be eaten up!).
Some other of my favourite combos are:
- Falafel + Cucumber + Sweet Potatoes + Lemon Tahini Drizzle
- Hummus + Garden Veggies + Avocado + Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Chicken + Shredded Carrots & Cabbage + Green Onions + Almond Butter Sauce
- Poached Egg + Sauteed Garlic Greens + Avocado + Sweet Potatoes
I also love mixing up the types of sauces or dips I have with my Buddha Bowl. In this recipe, I use my
Share your creation on Instagram and tag me (@katiestewartwellness) so I can see what you whip up. Happy Buddha Bowling!
Hearty and delicious buddha bowl filled with all the macronutrients your body needs.
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- ½ brick organic tempeh, cubed
- 1 tbsp wheat-free tamari
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato, cut in cubes
- 1 medium-sized organic yellow or red potato, skin on and cut in cubes
- 1-2 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- Unrefined sea salt, to taste
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ½ cup baby spinach, thinly sliced
- 2-4 tbsp Rosemary Garlic Aioli
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add tempeh cubes to a bowl and drizzle with tamari. Set aside. (If you have the time let it marinate for at least 30 minutes).
- Arrange potatoes and tempeh in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle with avocado oil and sprinkle with seasoning.
- Bake for 20-25 min -- flipping halfway through.
- When the tempeh and potatoes are done, remove from oven and scoop the desired amount of potatoes into each bowl.
- Add spinach to potatoes and mix well.
- Add tempeh and top with avocado and rosemary garlic aioli.