Hearty Breakfast Bowl
You wake up late and fly out the door. Obviously, breakfast didn’t make the cut today. Worst case you’ll just pick up a bagel at the coffee shop or check the lunchroom for some pastries (because there’s always some type of baked good in there, amiright?).
This may be an all too familiar situation for you because it definitely is for most people.
Breakfast is always the first to go when we’re in a hurry— even though we all know it’s official slogan is “the most important meal of the day.”
But we sacrifice our health for our schedule all the time.
When we skip breakfast, or opt for a sugary and refined grab-n-go, we put our blood sugar and adrenals on a joy ride aka promoting inflammation and oxidative stress.
The two BIG time causes of acne and skin problems.
In my program, The Clear Skin Solution, I teach my clients how to heal their acne from the inside out. One of the things we focus on is filling their plate with quality protein, fibre and fat (PFF). These three macronutrients help prevent your blood sugar from spiking throughout the morning and leave your adrenals feeling calm and composed. So put down the cereal, muffins, and bagels. Choose whole food options to help support clear skin.
This Hearty Breakfast Bowl is one of my favourites to fill me up and provide the PFF that my body needs. Let’s break it down so you can see what I mean in the PFF department:
- Protein: pastured-raised egg
- Fibre: sweet potato (spinach, avocado, and red pepper also kick in some fibre)
- Fat: avocado
Enjoy healthy protein, fibre, and fat in this hearty breakfast bowl to keep your blood sugar and adrenals happy.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 pasture-raised eggs
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- To taste unrefined salt
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Fresh salsa
- Cashew cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange sweet potatoes in a single layer. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of avocado oil and sprinkle with thyme and salt.
- Roast in the oven for 25-30 mins flipping halfway.
- In the meantime, heat remaining avocado oil in a pan over medium heat. Add red pepper and onion. Sauté until veggies are soft (about 10 minutes). Add baby spinach and sauté until greens are wilted. Set aside.
- Cook eggs in desired way.
- To poach as shown: add 3 inches of water in a small pot. Bring to low boil. Crack one egg into a small dish and gently adding to water. Repeat with the other egg. Set timer for 3 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to drain egg and place on a paper towel to blot up excess water.
- When potatoes are cooked, remove from oven.
- Get two bowls and split the sweet potatoes and pepper mixture between them. Place egg on top along with sliced avocado.
- Add any desired toppings. Enjoy!
Note: batch cook the veggies ahead of time so you just have to warm them up for a quick breakfast.