Red Velvet Latte with Beetroot & Raw Cacao
I’m usually all about my afternoon matcha. But lately, I’ve been swapping it out for this super delicious red velvet latte that I make with organic beetroot powder and raw cacao. It has all the red velvet feels and tastes like dessert in a mug.
The star of this red velvet latte is definitely the beetroot powder. Just one teaspoon of beetroot powder is the equivalent of one whole beet! So if you’re not a fan of roasted beets, adding a scoop to your latte is a great way to take advantage of it’s skin-soothing benefits — especially it’s anti-inflammatory properties.
We know chronic inflammation is one of the main causes of acne. And beetroot powder contains high amounts of betalain which combat inflammation in the body. Betalain is what gives beets their signature deep pigmented colour.
When it comes to your liver, betalain is a powerful tool for helping this clear skin organ detoxify. When your liver is functioning well, it’s able to filter out toxins and hormones that contribute to acne.
Maca for Happy Hormones (and Libido!)
One of my favourite superfoods out there is maca. I posted about my love for it on Instagram and in my Facebook group last week. I received so many messages about it that I wanted to show how I use it each day. Aside from smoothies, I pop it in any blended drinks especially my red velvet latte. The butterscotch-like flavour of the maca goes perfect with the classic red velvet flavour.
A root from Peru, maca helps support women’s hormonal health at every stage in the game. Balanced hormones are a key component to getting rid of stubborn acne. It’s actually one of the core pillars in my program, The Clear Skin Solution.
Maca doesn’t contain plant hormones. It simply works by helping the body make and balance its own hormones more adequately.
A few ways maca helps hormonal health:
- Helps balances hormones & control estrogen (vital for clear skin)
- Boosts sex drive and reduces sexual dysfunction
- Relieves menopause symptoms
- Improves sperm quality & motility
- Boosts energy, mood & memory
5 minPrep Time
5 minTotal Time
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 tsp beet root powder
- 1 tsp raw cacao
- 1-3 tsp maca powder (see notes)
- 1 tbsp collagen powder (omit for vegan version)
- 1-3 tsp MCT oil
- 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Heat coconut milk in a small saucepan on the stovetop.
- In the meantime, add all ingredients to the blender.
- Pour in hot coconut milk and blend on high until well combined.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy immediately.
Start with 1 teaspoon of maca per day and work your way up to a tablespoon. Take for a minimum of 2-3 weeks to see results.