Creamy Tropical Smoothie (Dairy Free + Kid Approved)
Creamy Tropical Green Smoothie
Green Smoothie. Mason Jar. Pretty much the iconic symbol of the health and wellness world, amiright?
But I remember thinking (while I was still in my fast food eating days)…
“Why would you ever add vegetables to a smoothie. And wtf even is a smoothie?”
What a naive early 20-something I was.
Fast forward about a decade later and now I share a green smoothie with my son every morning. How times change?
But the first smoothie recipe I ever created was this Creamy Tropical Green Smoothie. This is the perfect beginner “green” smoothie recipe because it’s full of tropical fruit flavour with no hint of spinach…okay minus the colour. 😉
Those Greens Though
So obviously spinach is healthy for you. But let’s go through a couple benefits, shall we?
Reduces inflammation in the body.
- High levels of b vitamins to boost your energy.
- Folate helps reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s and is also important for the proper development of a fetus’s nervous system.
- Excellent source of vitamin K which is a key nutrient for strong bones and proper blood clotting.
- Lots of vitamin A to help support both your vision and immune system.
- The antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin reduce the risk of cataracts
- Can help treat and prevent various types of cancers.
- Source of protein that boosts metabolism and heals wounds.
So, yep. Spinach is a good idea to have on a daily basis.
I love the sweet and refreshing combination of coconut milk, pineapple, mango, and lime. It’s basically a healthy twist on a pina colada. But something you may be surprised to see in the recipe is cinnamon!
Back in my TV days, I was on a food shoot with a Caribbean chef. He was making something with pineapple and said back Trinidad they often use cinnamon in their tropical dishes. For some reason, that little tidbit of info stuck with me all these years later. Since then, I’ve always added a little bit of spice to my tropical flavoured recipes.
A refreshing and fruit smoothie with lots of leafy greens. The perfect beginner "green" smoothie.
5 minPrep Time
5 minTotal Time
Yields 2 cups
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk*
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ¼ cup avocado, cubed
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen pineapple
- 2 medjool dates (or 1 tbsp raw honey)
- 1 drop doterra lime essential oil or 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 tbsp collagen powder
- 1 tsp omega-3 fish oil
- 1 tsp maca powder
- Combine all ingredients in the blender (including any boosters, if using) and blend on high.
*If using coconut milk out of a can, use 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup coconut milk to thin down. Use more or less liquids depending on desired consistency.