DIY Face Scrub With Rice Powder & Aloe Vera
This DIY face mask is a perfect example of how food is truly medicine.
The rice powder and aloe vera in this face mask contain a number of medicinal properties to promote healthy, clear skin.
And you’ll love how it’s only 2 ingredients and leaves your skin super soft afterward.
Ah-mazing Benefits of Rice Powder
Rice powder is simply uncooked rice that is finely ground to form a powder.
And it has a plethora of benefits when it comes to glowing skin. Here are a few reasons why you’ll want to use rice powder on your skin:
- Rice powder absorbs sebum, which is helpful for clearing acne
- The coarse texture of rice powder exfoliates the skin well, removing dead skin and then leaving it smooth
- Rice powder is loaded with B vitamins that promote new cell production and delay signs of aging
- It has sun-protecting agents like allantoin and ferulic acid
- The anti-inflammatory properties in rice powder can soothe sunburns
- Rice powder can brighten hyperpigmented or discoloured skin
Advantages of Aloe Vera
Deemed the “miracle plant,” aloe vera is a succulent plant that has been used for centuries to treat various medical conditions. The leaves of the aloe plant contain 75 potentially active compounds including vitamins, minerals, enzymes, sugars, lignin, saponins, salicylic acids and amino acids.
Without a doubt, the many unique substances within aloe vera have been shown to provide a range of benefits for the skin and more:
- Long-chain sugar molecules in aloe vera called mucopolysaccharides help keep moisture in the skin
- The amino acids within the plant soften hardened skin cells and its zinc tightens pores
- Aloe stimulates fibroblast, which can create collagen and elastin fibers to restore skin elasticity and decrease the appearance of wrinkles
- Its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effects can help treat inflammatory and noninflammatory acne
- Studies suggest that aloe vera can help soothe first- and second-degree burns on the skin
With rice powder and aloe vera combined, the nutrient-rich duo can help your skin for a wide array of reasons. So give this face mask a try and while it sits, find your next DIY skincare project here.
A nourishing face scrub to help brighten and reduce inflammation.
5 minPrep Time
5 minTotal Time
- 1/4 cup organic white rice
- Aloe vera gel (fresh pulp or store-bought gel)
- Unpasteurized honey
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- Grind the white rice into a powder with a clean coffee grinder or mortar/pestle.
- Add tea tree essential oil, if using.
- Store in small jar until ready to use.
- To scrub, mix 1 tsp each of aloe and honey with 1 tsp of the rice powder. If using fresh aloe, use 1" fresh pulp and mash together with the honey and white rice.
- Massage scrub mixture into your face in an upward direction by following a small circular motion.
- Be gentle and spend about 2-3 minutes scrubbing your skin.
- Let the mixture sit on your skin for 10 to 15 minutes after massage.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and follow with your favourite face cream.
Store the extra rice powder in a small jar, adding the aloe and honey at each use for a fresh scrub. Avoid scrubbing active acne areas or open wounds.